- Colds and breastfeeding - how to heal during lactation?
- How to cure a runny nose while breastfeeding?
- Safe rhinitis medications for the nursing motherwe have
- What To Do If You Have A Cough While Breastfeeding?
- Safe cough medications for a nursing mom
- Sore throat during lactation
- Safe sore throat medications for a nursing mom
- Fever and breastfeeding
- Safe fever medications for a nursing mom
- How to take medication while breastfeeding?
Help the development of the site, sharing the article with friends!VERIFIED CONTENTAuthor: Anna Jaworska, family doctor
Should you stop breastfeeding when you have a runny nose, cough, fever, headache, sore throat? You do not have to do that. There are ways to relieve discomfort without stopping breastfeeding and without harming your baby.
Breastfeeding and a coldis a topic that always raises many doubts. During pregnancy, the matter was obvious: the less drugs, the better, because they can affect the development of the fetus.
What about the lactation period? Now that the baby is in the world, will the medications you take with the milk enter his body? And if so, will they hurt him?
Check how to deal with colds while breastfeeding and try safe remedies for a runny nose, cough, sore throat and fever?
Colds and breastfeeding - how to heal during lactation?
There are drugs that cannot be taken with a cold while breastfeeding, and drugs that can be taken without fear, of course within reason.
During a cold, a nursing mother should definitely try home treatments first. Only when these methods prove ineffective, there is nothing else to do but to unleash a powerful weapon against germs.
How to cure a runny nose while breastfeeding?
When you have a cold, try to drink a lot and clean your nose frequently with disposable tissues. Wash your hands after such a "treatment".
Marjoram and soda infusion has a soothing and anti-inflammatory effect. Add a tablespoon of marjoram and a tablespoon of baking soda to about 1.5 liters of water. Cook for 15 minutes while walking nearby (such inhalations will not hurt your child) or lean over the pot, cover your head with a towel and inhale the steam for 5-10 minutes.
You can also enrich your diet with garlic or onion. However, start with small amounts, as your baby may not accept the new taste of milk ( although there are some gourmets).
Remember that a runny nose, accompanied by a headache that intensifies with her movements, can be a symptom of sinusitis. This is a signal that you should see a doctor. Advice is also needed when nasal discharge becomes purulent, greenish.
Safe rhinitis medications for the nursing motherwe have
- For a thick runny nose, thinning agents and facilitating the removal of secretions will be useful. You can use either saline droplets or a seawater solution. Pour 5 ml of saline in the palm of your hand and draw it up your nose. It is a very good and effective way to relieve catarrhal symptoms.
- Watery runny nose will decrease after nasal drops decongest the blood vessels of the mucosa. However, use them with caution, because although they do not harm your baby, they may disturb lactation. For this reason, do not take any rhinitis medications in the form of tablets.
- Marjoram or vitamin A ointment is good for irritated skin under the nose.
What To Do If You Have A Cough While Breastfeeding?
If you have a dry cough, you should drink plenty of water, at least 2 liters of fluid a day. Still mineral water, herbal teas, marshmallow infusion are the best.
Homemade onion syrup works great for wet cough: sprinkle a layer of sliced onion with sugar or add honey, then put a layer of onion, honey, etc. in a cool place for a few hours, until the onion releases juice, then strain. Drink the syrup 3 times a day for a teaspoon.
A dry, tiring cough will be relieved by warm milk with honey and butter.
Safe cough medications for a nursing mom
- Most over-the-counter syrups are safe while breastfeeding. You can try out medicines based on ambroxol and herbal syrups, e.g. marshmallow or Icelandic lichen.
Remember!Avoid cough suppressants with codeine during lactation as they can reduce lactation
Sore throat during lactation
A sore throat will be relieved by herbal rinses. Rinse your throat with sage infusion or s alt water (a teaspoon for half a glass of water). Wrap your neck with a warm scarf.
Avoid eating sour foods such as citrus, cucumber soup, borscht, juices - they can irritate the throat. Choose mushy, lukewarm, mild-tasting dishes.
If your sore throat is severe, making it difficult to swallow, and accompanied by a high fever, be sure to see a doctor. You probably have tonsillitis.
Safe sore throat medications for a nursing mom
- Reach for lozenges with honey and lemon, herbal or homeopathic.
- Aerosol preparations with Icelandic lichen or colloidal silver are also effective.
Fever and breastfeeding
If the fever is below 38 degrees C, drink linden infusion, tea with raspberry juice or milk with honey. Low-grade fever or low fever will be reduced by cold compresseson the forehead and calves.
A cooling bath or shower will also work effectively. Warning! The water cannot be cold, its temperature should be only 2-3 degrees lower than the body temperature.
Safe fever medications for a nursing mom
- You can use herbal fever remedies for children, a paracetamol tablet or suppository (it works 4-6 hours) without fear.
- ibuprofen or aspirin are stronger, longer and anti-inflammatory, but it's better not to overuse them. Aspirin affects blood clotting, so you need to use it with caution and only after consulting your doctor.
Remember!Pyralgine is a powerful painkiller and antipyretic, but it can cause bone marrow damage. It penetrates into the food, so you should definitely avoid it.
Combining different drugs, e.g. ibuprofen and aspirin, is not recommended because it may cause side effects, and their antipyretic or analgesic effect is not stronger.
See a doctor when the fever exceeds 38.5-39 degrees C or does not go away after 2-3 days.
How to take medication while breastfeeding?
1. It is best to take your medicine just before or just after a feed, and before any long breaks. 2. Start treatment with natural methods, then use the drug for children, and only finally drugs for adults (preferably after consulting a doctor). 3. Read the leaflet provided with the medicine. Medicines may have a negative effect on the baby or lactation, e.g. Furagin, which is approved for use during pregnancy, changes the taste of milk and may make the baby reluctant to eat 4. Do not use any vitamin supplements without consulting your doctor.Problem
Breastfeeding moms ask …
- I'm afraid I have bronchitis and I will need an antibiotic. Can you take them while breastfeeding?
There are antibiotics that can be taken during lactation without stopping breastfeeding. A physician should always decide on their administration. You must not use antibiotics on your own, especially the remnants of the previous treatment.
- Is it true that a feverish nursing mother should wean her baby because her milk is unhe althy?
Absolutely not! Its composition is not worse, it does not turn sour. It is at this point that the baby should not be weaned from the breast, because in this way the baby is deprived of weapons against germs that can then attack him. After all, the nursing mother, along with the milk, also gives the baby protective antibodies that help the baby fight the infection.
- Cough in a child - types and treatment
- Cough in pregnancy - how to deal with a cough in pregnancy?
"M jak mama" monthly