Help the development of the site, sharing the article with friends!
The liver test is a blood test to evaluate how your liver is working. If your liver function tests are normal, great. However, sometimes the results of liver function tests are elevated or too low. As evidenced by abnormal - elevated or too low ALAT, ALP, AST, GGTP, LDH, ChE results?
Liver testsis the basic test that evaluates the he alth of the liver. Iftest resultexceeds or is below the norm, it may be a signal of certain diseases.
As evidenced by elevated or too low liver tests?
- elevated ALT results may occur in chronic or acute hepatitis, mechanical jaundice or mononucleosis
- elevated AST results are obtained in cirrhosis, inflammation, mechanical jaundice and after heart attack
- elevated GGTP results may be primarily alcohol abuse or biliary obstruction
- elevated LDH results may mean hepatitis, biliary tract disease, myocarditis, post-infarction or neoplastic disease, pneumonia, anemia
- elevated bilirubin may indicate abnormal liver function, besides, an increase in bilirubin in the blood causes jaundice
- elevated ALP results are obtained in diseases of the liver and biliary tract (cirrhosis, hepatitis, cholangitis, or liver tuberculosis); an increase in ALP may also indicate diseases of other organs, e.g. kidneys, bones, heart failure
- a decrease in the ChE level may indicate serious liver damage, e.g. by poisoning
- elevated ChE levels may be the result of fatty liver
- a positive HBs antigen result indicates hepatitis B
- positive HCV antibody test result may indicate hepatitis C
When the results are incorrect, the doctor will refer you to more specialized liver tests, e.g. ultrasound, fibroscan or biopsy, i.e. taking samples from the liver for testing. There are also complex algorithms taking into account various laboratory tests that allow the assessment of fibrosis or fatty liver, although they are not currently recommended.
They are complementary to diagnosis, but not a substitute for a biopsy. Other useful laboratory tests include: enzymes - alkaline phosphatase, GGT, prothrombin index, proteinogram and autoantibodies. Virological diagnostics is also extensive, including the assessment of the presence of antibodies, antigens and genetic material of liver-damaging microorganisms.
We recommend: We usually detect it too lateWe recommend
Author: Time S.A
An individually selected diet will allow you to eat he althy and tasty, even if your doctor has prescribed a therapeutic diet. Take advantage of JeszCoLisz, an innovative online dietary system from the He alth Guide and take care of your he alth and well-being. Enjoy a professionally composed menu and constant support from a dietitian today!Find out more