Help the development of the site, sharing the article with friends!
Medicines for allergies for children should be administered after prior consultation with a doctor. Children react to allergens differently from adults because their immune systems are not fully developed yet. This is especially true for children under the age of 5. That is why it is so important to carefully select drugs for allergies for children and their appropriate dosage.
Allergies in children - their types and treatments
The immune system of children is not fully developed, therefore our children are susceptible to all kinds of "intruders" in the form of allergens. Children usually suffer from food allergies, hay fever, asthma and atopic dermatitis. To relieve the symptoms of allergy, give the correct medication at the correct dose. Everything should be done under the watchful eye of a doctor, because children react to allergy medications differently than adults. Fortunately, there are someover-the-counter allergy medications for childrenthat you can safely use, even without doctor's guidance.
Allergy medications for children - asthma
Currently, it is not possible to purchaseOTC medications for asthmabecause they require inhaled steroids, and these are only available with a prescription.
Allergy medications for children - hay fever
Allergy medications for childrencan be used only after the child is 5 years old. Among the over-the-counter drugs, you should look for those whose task is to desensitize a small allergy sufferer.
- cetrizineinhibits the action of histamine (a substance that causes allergy symptoms). This type of antihistamine is, for example, Zytrec.
- loratadinerelieves hay fever symptoms, i.e. unblocks a stuffy nose and inhibits the sneezing reflex. Loratadine is contained in the following drugs: Aleric, Loratadine.
- sodium cromoglycateis used to treat allergic rhinitis. It can be used to prevent symptoms of animal hair allergy. Cromoglycan is a component of Polcrom.
- oxymetazoline hydrochlorideconstricts the swelling of the nasal mucosa and makes it easier for the baby to breathe. It is available as an aerosol (e.g. Nasivin).
Medicines for allergies for children - atopicdermatitis
- allantiona(e.g. Alantan) has an anti-inflammatory effect, therefore heals the reddened skin of a child quickly.
- soybean oil(eg Balneum Baby Basic) is a source of omega-6 and omega-3 unsaturated fatty acids, which penetrate the skin and effectively seal its lipid barrier. Soybean oil relieves itching and the feeling of tightness of the affected skin.
- paraffin(in liquid form) forms a coating on the surface of the baby's skin, prevents water evaporation and further skin irritation.
Allergy medications for children - food allergy
Dimethindene maleate is a substance that inhibits the effects of histamine and alleviates the symptoms of food allergy. The drug can be used in children under 12 years of age, but its dosage must be in accordance with the strict instructions contained in the leaflet. Dimethindene maleate contains only one over-the-counter drug - Fenistil.