Help the development of the site, sharing the article with friends!
Oat groats are groats whose nutritional properties are not well known in Poland yet. Meanwhile, oatmeal is a good source of soluble dietary fiber, iron and B vitamins. What other nutritional values does oatmeal have? How to cook oat groats? Where can you buy it and what is the price?
Oat groatsis made from whole oat grains - this is how oat pearl barley is made. Oat grains are also chopped into two or three parts - in this wayoat groatsbroken. In both cases, oat grains are roasted at a low temperature, which makes oat groats have greaternutritional valuethan oatmeal, which is the result of steaming, rolling, steaming and roasting.
Oat groats - properties and nutritional values
Oat groats are an excellent source of protein, complex carbohydrates and dietary fiber, both soluble and insoluble in water. In addition, it is rich in vitamins, mainly from the B group and vitamin E, and in minerals such as iron, phosphorus, magnesium, calcium, copper.
- thanks to the presence of dietary fiber (beta-glucan), which dissolves in water, it creates a gel-like substance that has a positive effect on the digestive system. First of all, facilitating defecation
- has a positive effect on the cardiovascular system: it strengthens the walls of blood vessels and lowers blood pressure. it's all thanks to the presence of phosphorus, zinc and B vitamins
- lowers cholesterol
- thanks to the presence of vitamin B6, it prevents depression, which increases the production of serotonin, which may be associated with an improvement in well-being, a feeling of relaxation
- thanks to the presence of antioxidant compounds protects against damage caused by free radicals and prevents the formation of cancer cells
- thanks to the high content of non-heme iron, it has a positive effect on the formation and functioning of red blood cells, and thus prevents the occurrence of anemia
- helps to keep the blood glucose level constant, which prevents the occurrence of diabetes, metabolic syndrome
Oat groats are rich in complex carbohydrates. The consumption of oat groats givesenergy and a feeling of fullness for a long time. Therefore, it is an excellent proposition for people who are slimming and who want to maintain a he althy body weight.Worth knowing
Oat groats - nutritional values (in 100 g)
Energy value - 390 kcal Protein 11.4 g Fat 7.8 g, including:
- saturated fatty acids 1.1 g - monounsaturated fatty acids 2.7 g - polyunsaturated fatty acids 2.5 g
Carbohydrates 63.1 g Fiber 10.8 g
Minerals(% of RDA for an adult)
Phosphorus - 516.0 mg (74%) Potassium - 382.0 mg (8%) Sodium - 1.0 mg (0.1%) Calcium - 39.0 mg (39%) Iron - 3 , 7 mg (37%) Magnesium - 116.0 mg (28%) Zinc - 2.5 mg (23%) Copper - 0.36 mg (40%) Selenium - 1 µg (2%)
Vitamin B1 0.37 mg (28%) Vitamin B2 0.08 mg (6%) Niacin 0.7 mg (4%) Vitamin B6 0.24 mg (19%) Vitamin B12 0.0 µg (0%) Vitamin E 0.9 mg (9%)
Source: Norwegian Food Composition Database 2022, Nutrition Standards, Amendment IŻŻ, 2012Worth knowing
How to cook oat groats?
Oat groats are cooked longer than oatmeal, about 20-30 minutes. It is best to cook it in the proportion of 1 volume of oat groats to 4 volumes of water. If you don't have much time to cook the grits in the morning, you can add it in the evening and simmer for 7 to 9 hours overnight.
Oat groats - use in the kitchen
Oat groats will be perfect as an independent breakfast dish with the addition of your favorite fruit, nuts, dried fruit (porridge version), as well as an addition to baked goods and a thickener for soups and sauces.
Oat groats in the kitchen can be used in many ways, including:
- preparing desserts with fruit sauces, nuts, raisins. Thanks to this, in addition to adding flavor, the nutritional value of the dish will increase
- preparation of milk soup
- preparing breakfast granola
- thickening soups and sauces
- as an addition to cakes, muffins, pies, cookies
- as an addition to minced meat, fish, addition to stuffing, stuffed cabbage or dumplings.
You can get oat flour from it, but it will be a coarse-grained flour, so it is worth using it in mixtures with other baking flours.We recommend
Author: Time S.A
A balanced diet is the key to he alth and better well-being. Use JeszCoLubisz, the innovative online dietary system of the He alth Guide. Choose from thousands of recipes for he althy and tasty dishes using the benefits of nature. Be happyindividually selected menu, constant contact with a dietitian and many other functionalities today!Find out moreWorth knowing
Oat groats - where to buy? What's the price ?
We can buy oat groats in organic food stores, online stores as well as, more and more often, we can find it in supermarkets. For 1 kg of oat groats you have to pay from 5 to even 26 PLN.
Properties of oat grains used to make oat groats
Source: x-news.pl/Agencja TVN