- Principles of slimming people with heart disease
- Physical activity while losing weight
- Drug treatment can support weight loss
Help the development of the site, sharing the article with friends!
Obesity carries a serious risk of complications for the cardiovascular system. People suffering from heart and circulatory system diseases - hypertension, atherosclerosis, heart defects or heart failure - should especially take care of a proper diet. Slimming, i.e. weight reduction, in their case must be consulted with a doctor.
People who are overweight and obese suffer from cardiac arrhythmias more often than in people with normal weight, and circulatory failure develops twice as often. Hypertension, atherosclerosis, high cholesterol, coronary artery disease,heart attackare often the consequences of untreatedobesity . - People with cardiovascular diseases must ensure that their body weight is correct. People who are overweight and obese, even with good blood pressure, develop adverse changes in the heart, such as left ventricular hypertrophy - warns Prof. dr hab. Zbigniew Gaciong, head of the Department of Internal Diseases, Hypertension and Angiology, Medical University of Warsaw.
Principles of slimming people with heart disease
Programfor weight lossfor overweight or obese people who suffer from cardiovascular disease should be determined by a doctor. However, there are general rules that apply to all patients.
- Reduce the daily amount of calories consumed by 500 kcal. This can be achieved by limiting fat, sugar and sweets. For women on a so-called diet reduction, i.e. slimming, the daily caloric requirement is estimated at about 1,200 kcal, and for men - 1,500.
- Eat regularly and slowly. Avoid snacking between meals.
- Your diet should consist primarily of vegetables, legumes, and whole grains as they contain fiber and are filling.
- Choose products containing unsaturated fats (rapeseed oil, sunflower oil, soybean oil). This type of fat helps to lower blood pressure, but due to its high calorific value, it is recommended in small amounts.
- Limit the consumption of foods that contain large amounts of table s alt (also avoid crisps, peanuts, etc.).
- Prepare meals by steaming, boil and stew without adding fat, or bake in foil. Frying and baking with a lot of fat is unfavorableaffects the work of the heart and promotes the development of atherosclerosis.
- Reduce the consumption of fats and animal products: red meat, sausages, offal, pates, poultry, game, fatty milk, butter and cheeses containing saturated fatty acids that promote weight gain and increase the level of "bad" cholesterol.
- Replace meat meals with fatty sea fish - they contain omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, which help lower cholesterol.
Physical activity while losing weight
The intensity of physical activity in the case of overweight, obese people and additionally with cardiovascular problems should be determined by a doctor. Simple aerobic exercise of moderate intensity is recommended (walking, Nordic walking, outdoor housework, cycling). They oxygenate the body and help burn fat. Effects are achieved by regularly exercising for 20 to 60 minutes at least three times a week.
Drug treatment can support weight loss
Pharmacological treatment may be an element supporting the treatment of overweight and obesity. In people with cardiovascular diseases, it must be consulted with a doctor and adjusted to the patient's needs, if non-pharmacological treatment attempts have failed previously. The main medications in the treatment of obesity are drugs that suppress appetite and drugs that reduce absorption in the gut. However, the decision to undertake such pharmacological treatment and the type of drugs is always up to the doctor.