Help the development of the site, sharing the article with friends!
After the flood wave has passed, new dangers arise, especially epidemiological threats. He alth and safety then depend on scrupulous observance of the rules concerning hygiene and food storage. Check what to do to avoid illness after a flood.
Howafter the floodreduceepidemiological threat ? "Eat cooked food and vegetables and fruit with a clean hand, peeled" … This rule, addressed mainly to those going to regions where there is a high risk of salmonellosis, typhoid, dysentery and cholera, is also perfectly suited to the victims of flooding. But in this case, there are many, many more safety rules. Here it is not enough just to cook, peel and have clean hands.
Read: Are flood victims threatened by an epidemic?
- First of all, throw away any food that has been in direct contact with water that is covered with sludge. It is absolutely forbidden to feed animals. If the food has been stored in its packaging, but there is at least some suspicion that it may have been contaminated with dirty water, it should also be disposed of. Similarly, we get rid of melted vegetables and fruits. Household items with a rough, porous structure, as well as disposable equipment, should also be thrown away. On the other hand, glass, porcelain and metal objects can be kept, but they must be thoroughly cleaned using an appropriate disinfectant.
- Canned food can be kept, but check for cavities and rust. If so, better get rid of them.
- Products that are used to prepare meals should be heat treated first, unless they are already ready to eat and you know that they have not been in contact with dirty water.
- Vegetables and fruit, even if they were brought from the region not affected by the flood, also have to be washed and eaten peeled. Those that are not suitable for peeling (lettuce, berries) must be washed with plenty of fresh water and rinsed several times.
- If livestock is affected by the flood, it is essential to contact a veterinarian who will assess their he alth and decide to what extent (or if at all) you can use e.g. cow milk.
- Be carefulalso look at home appliances, especially those in which food is stored and processed. Any dampness, color change, or the smell of mold means that the fungus has already spread and can get into food and cause disease. In addition, the fungus spores will enter the body through the respiratory tract, which at best may cause allergies or aggravate asthma attacks.
Read: Good and bad mold
Warning, athlete's foot
To minimize the negative he alth effects of the flood wave,ventilate apartmentsand cabinets frequently, and dry and repaint them if necessary.
Remember that if you have doubts as to whether an item should be kept or thrown away, it is better to throw it away immediately.
Particular attention should also be paid to the first aid kit. Here, the rules of conduct are even stricter than in the case of food. Even if the medications were in sealed containers, it would be safer to get rid of them.