Help the development of the site, sharing the article with friends!
Just having a fridge and freezer doesn't do anything. You still need to be able to use them. It turns out that knowledge about food storage is not common. We advise on how to put food products in the refrigerator, as well as how long and what to keep them in order to keep them fresh and tasty for a long time.
Nobody has any doubts that what is on our plates has a significant impact on the condition and he alth. This is both about the quantity offoodand its quality, which depends on how it is stored. It is a common belief that when we throw groceries in the fridge, we don't have to worry about something breaking. Nothing could be more wrong.Fridgedoes not extend the shelf life of anything. The fact that the knowledge about properfood storageis not mastered by everyone to an appropriate degree is proved by, for example, medical statistics - food poisoning and the so-called diseases of dirty hands take a heavy toll in our country.
Storing food in the refrigerator: grain products
Put the bread on the middle shelf - it should not stay there for more than a month. However, when you freeze them (down to approx. -20 ° C), it will not lose its taste value for many months. Freezing is also perfect for storing ready-made flour dishes and cakes. Put them in special containers at the bottom of the refrigerator, where the temperature is the highest (from + 3 to + 8 ° C). Citrus, cucumbers and cauliflower will last about 10 days, peppers, tomatoes, Brussels sprouts, sprouts and mushrooms - 5 days, lettuce and spinach - a maximum of 4 days. Warning! Do not store lettuce in foil bags (this produces a substance that promotes the formation of cancer). You can keep frozen food for up to a year. To a great extent, they retain the nutritional value of the fresh ones.Important
Freezing is considered the most rational method of long-term storage - then the structure of proteins does not change, fats do not become rancid, food does not lose vitamins. It is also worth remembering that the sooner you freeze something, the better its quality will be. With slow freezing, especially when the temperature fluctuates between 2 and 5 ° C, large ice crystals are formed, breaking the cell membranes of fruit and vegetable skins, which causes unnecessary leakage of themjuice full of vitamins. This process is inhibited when the mercury column goes down faster.
Storing food in the refrigerator: milk and dairy products
Better use before the date shown on the package. Drink an open carton of milk within 3 days, a closed carton - it can be kept for a long time. Yellow cheese will last up to two weeks, brie - 6 days. Curd cheeses packed in parchment or foil should be stored (at 1 to 10 ° C) for no longer than 48 hours from the date of production. Use homogenized cheeses and garni within 24 hours of opening the package. Eat the butter better within 6 days, soft margarines (in boxes) will stay fresh for at least three weeks.You must do it
The refrigerator must be clean:
- you should defrost it and wash it thoroughly at least twice a month
- only do this when offline
- start by removing all products from it
- wash the inside of the refrigerator with warm water with the addition of an agent that not only cleans but also disinfects
- you can also use water with vinegar (especially effective for removing traces of mold)
- rinse it several times with warm water
- wipe it dry before plugging it in.
Storing food in the refrigerator: meat, fish, poultry
Fresh meat, poultry should not be stored longer than 1-2 days, fish - only a day. We also consider sausages, sausages, tags and tartare as instant-food items. Frozen beef will last from 3 to 12 months, pork from 4 to 8 months, veal 3 - 4 months (roasted up to 8 months). Lean fish at 18 ° C can be stored for 8 months, and fatty fish for 4 months …
- Do not store raw meat and food prepared for consumption on the same shelf. Check all use-by dates on an ongoing basis.
- Do not overload the refrigerator as this obstructs proper air flow and reduces cooling efficiency
- Pack carefully scented products.
- Remove what is broken immediately.
- Remember that the use-by date applies only to closed products. After opening e.g. a cardboard box, its contents must be used as soon as possible.
- Put the canned food on a plate or put it in a jar, pour the oil from the can into a dark glass bottle.
- Wash raw fish, meat, eggs, vegetables and fruit (except citrus and pineapples) before storing in the refrigerator.
- Do not put hot food in the refrigerator.
How to be zero waste? In the program Drogowskazy on Eski Rock, Michał Poklękowski promotes the fight against waste! Why is it worth buyingused clothes or to set up a composter with earthworms in the basement? Can there be less waste, rubbish, without losing the comfort of our life? The answers to these questions are given in the broadcast by Sylwia Sikorska and Anna Komar, co-founders of the Polish Zero Waste Association: