- What cough with coronavirus infection?
- Covid cough - what will the doctor ask about?
- How to relieve coronavirus-induced coughs?
Help the development of the site, sharing the article with friends!
Coughing is one of the possible symptoms of coronavirus infection. It occurs in roughly half of people suffering from COVID-19 and is quite distinctive. Many people cough up and ask themselves: Do I have the coronavirus? So it's worth knowing what type of cough may indicate a coronavirus infection, how to alleviate covid cough, and what your doctor may ask before referring you to a test.
Cough with coronavirus infectionis sometimes referred to as covid cough, because it is typical for COVID-19 - but it does not mean that every infected person coughs.
Since the coronavirus affects the respiratory tract, coughing - if it occurs - is one of the first symptoms of infection, but it can quickly be joined by other symptoms, especially fever and fatigue. How do you know if your cough is caused by the coronavirus, if it may as well be a symptom of a common cold or other infection?
What cough with coronavirus infection?
Whether or not the cough is actually caused by the coronavirus can only be judged by a doctor. However, it can be suspected from the sound of the cough and the accompanying ailments.
Cough with coronavirus:
- is persistent and dry (unproductive) as COVID-19 irritates lung tissue. There is no discharge and the coughing attack usually starts at the back of the throat. The coughing sound is barking
- accompanied by shortness of breath and muscle pain
- As time goes by and the disease progresses, you feel more and more breathless as you cough
- If you get pneumonia in the course of COVID-19, the type of cough changes. As the infection progresses, alveoli in the lungs may fill with fluid and the cough becomes wet. Sputum can become foamy and stained with blood at this stage.
Covid cough - what will the doctor ask about?
If you are coughing and you have reason to believe your cough is caused by the coronavirus but your condition does not require an ambulance, make an appointment for teleportation. During it, the doctor, to find the cause of your cough, may ask you a few questions - it is worth preparing the answers to them in advance.
- how long does the cough last? Are they days, weeks, months?
- When is the cough most intense? At night, in the morning, overnighton?
- what does a cough sound like? Is it dry, wet, barking, loud, soft?
- Does the cough cause symptoms such as vomiting, dizziness, insomnia or something else?
- how intense is the cough? Does it interfere with your daily activities?
- Is it accompanied by shortness of breath (dyspnea)?
- Do you experience other symptoms besides coughing, such as fatigue, muscle aches, fever?
How to relieve coronavirus-induced coughs?
It is best to follow the doctor's instructions given during teleportation - one of them may be, for example, the use of antitussive preparations, especially at night, to alleviate cough and not to disturb sleep.
The doctor may also recommend taking medications, thanks to which the cough will turn into a wet cough, and discharge will appear in the respiratory tract, which will facilitate the removal of microbes from the body. It is also worth - after consulting a doctor - to use home-made, proven methods of relieving persistent dry cough.
Examples of proven methods include onion syrup, which has a slightly expectorant effect, linseed infusion, which soothes the cough reflex and is perfect for dry cough, as well as infusions of mullein and Icelandic lichen, both with antitussive properties . It is also worth taking care of good hydration of the mucous membranes of the throat - drink often, moisturize the air in the room.