Help the development of the site, sharing the article with friends!
A COVID-19 throat swab is required if your doctor suspects you have coronavirus infection. However, for the result to be reliable, it is not enough to simply take a diagnostic test for coronavirus. How to prepare for the coronavirus test, can you eat, brush your teeth, chew gum before the coronavirus test?
Throat swab for COVID-19- in accordance with the guidelines of the Chief Sanitary Inspectorate - should be performed when acute symptoms of respiratory system infection appear, such as cough, fever, shortness of breath and the patient has been in an area where the coronavirus is spreading.
An indication for the examination is also the situation when at least one symptom of such an infection has appeared, and the patient has had contact with a person infected with coronavirus or with he alth care professionals who may have had such contact. The test is also performed in people in hospital with symptoms of a severe respiratory infection of unknown etiology.
SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus infection is confirmed - or ruled out - by the results of the SARS-CoV-2 diagnostic test, and swab samples are analyzed in a laboratory under safe conditions.
For the test result to be credible, you need to properly prepare for it.
How to prepare for the coronavirus test?
A coronavirus smear, as well as blood tests - e.g. complete blood counts - should be performed in the first half of the day.
- Before taking the smear, you should be on an empty stomach (or after a meal, but it should be eaten at least three hours in advance). If for some reason you need to eat something, rinse your mouth with boiled water before swabbing.
- Before smearing, do not brush your teeth or use mouthwash.
- Also, do not chew gum, suck throat pills or drink cough suppressant syrups - even herbal ones.
- For at least two hours before collecting the sample, do not use any ointments, drops, or nasal spray, do not inhale or rinse the sinuses. Also, do not blow your nose before the swab.
- If you have a removable denture, remove it before taking the sample.
- Remember that you must have a mask during the test - you can only take it offwhile the sample is taken.
- If the smear is taken at your home, thoroughly ventilate the apartment before the specialist arrives.
How to prepare for a test at a mobile collection point❓❓ koronavirusMinimum 2 hours before the test: ➡️ do not eat? ➡️ do not drink ☕️➡️ do not chew gum ✋➡️ do not rinse your mouth and nose? ➡️ do not brush your teeth? ➡️ do not take medication? ➡️ do not smoke? pic.twitter.com/5gvyLSUGQv- Ministry of He alth (@MZ_GOV_PL) October 20, 2022Probe